Monday, November 1, 2010

Candy Creativity

Leftover Halloween Candy?
If in the midst of fun size candy bars galore you managed to hold yourself back this weekend or if perhaps you didn’t get as many trick or treaters as you anticipated, you’re probably wondering what to do with your extra Halloween candy. Instead of snarfing it all before it gets stale, here are some other ideas you might like (and if all else fails, you’re more than welcome to send it my way!)...

Make your own Marble Slab.
Are you suddenly recognizing the world of possibilities here? Maybe your deep freezer has started glowing with possibilities? Open up the chocolate bars and chop them into small chunks that you can put in individual Ziploc bags before you throw them in the freezer. Watch for sales on ice cream and frozen yogurt and let the flavour possibilities unfold...

Use those little caramels for something that actually tastes good.
You know the ones I mean. They taste more like plastic than anything, but they’re cheap and you always seem to end up with tons of them! Turns out they’re a KEY ingredient in one of the most delicious cakes I’ve ever devoured in a single sitting (that’s only a mild exaggeration): http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,186,145162-236193,00.html isn’t my recipe but looks pretty close to the one I use!

Be smart with your Smarties.
Ever since nut free became so important, I have ended up with more Smarties than a person could possibly want. If you know any Canadians living in the US, send them your boxes – they don’t make them over there! Random info: Smarties in the US are those chalky little candies that Canadians call Rockets. Maybe it’s because I grew up in the states, but I really don’t like Smarties all that much! However, when you bake them into a chocolate chip cookie recipe they’re not so bad! M&Ms obviously work well here too! Like Phoebe on Friends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3a-mDPknXI )¸I think that Nestle Tollhouse has the best recipe...http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18476/Original-NESTL%C3%89-TOLL-HOUSE-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/detail.aspx Just throw in the candy instead of (or with) the chocolate chips. And make extra for me, please!
Another delicious option: throw them into some trail mix! Take a healthy snack and make it delicious by adding chocolate to any combination of mixed nuts, dried fruit, pretzels, and cereal. Yum!

Kiss wisely.

Two things I love: peanut butter and chocolate (not just in Reese’s form). Hershey Kisses are even more delicious when they come on top of a peanut butter thumbprint cookie. I can’t think of a better vessel with which to bring the candy to my mouth! Here’s a recipe if you don’t have one for peanut butter cookies that you prefer: http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=5191 !

Turn what could’ve been a Whopper of a snack into a healthier choice.

I feel old. Malted chocolates used to be something my parents liked – an old person snack. Now, I love the darn things. Rather than eat too many as a snack on their own, why not crush them up and throw them on top of a sugar free (or regular) pudding cup?

Coffee and chocolate are not food groups, but they should be.

Coffee Crisp bars are basically a fusion of two things that keep me going on a daily basis. When they come together and wrapped in a bright yellow package, I can’t help but be happy! Again, instead of eating so many that I feel sick as a snack on their own, taking one or two and cutting them up before tossing them in with vanilla or cafe latte or mocha yogurt does the trick for me! Protein, chocolate, coffee, calcium...I like what I’m seeing here (and it’s a healthy snack)!

Get crafty.

Remember the cool jewellery people were making out of Starburst wrappers a few years ago? Why not get creative – you’ll feel less guilty tossing out the candies (or eating them) if you need the wrappers for your craft! If the final product isn’t really your style, think of a cousin, friend, or little sibling who’d get a kick out of your creation and save it to give to them at Christmas time! http://www.ehow.com/how_6160340_directions-make-starburst-wrapper-necklaces.html

No lab coat or goggles required.If you’re like me, labs = danger. I worry sometimes that the chemistry building at UWO is going to see its last day when they hand me a Bunsen burner. Experiments with candy are a much safer bet for folks like me! This is nerdy but cool: if you soak Skittles, apparently the S floats to the top of the water! Check out this site for some other cool ideas: http://www.candyexperiments.com/

Donate it.
There are plenty of places that will take your candy. People even ship it in care packages (the kinds that won’t melt—think gummies, candy corn, etc.) to people overseas or to the military!

I’m sorry for taking away your excuse to eat 2 pounds of Snickers tonight but you’ll thank me later! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment