Sunday, October 31, 2010

GET YOUR SWEAT ON!

A lot of people have been asking me either for my workouts OR asking if we could work out together sometime. I was saving these for a best seller some day, but I guess I’ll give everyone a preview and trust that you’ll buy my book when I let you be in there as testimonials. I can’t take the credit for these in their entirety, but I can say that I’ve brought my own little flair to them! Hope you guys enjoy them in a sick and exceptionally sore kind of way...

CONES:
The story behind this one: I ‘borrowed’ some of it from Marc Lebert (check out his stuff - -http://www.lebertequalizer.com/index.htm) and added to it. The first night of my bootcamp, me scared out of my mind, I put the brave souls through this! I heard they were sore for days and I knew I had a business going...

Set up baby pylons (or anything, really, but these are cute and ironic since the workout is
anything but cute/baby/etc
.) as far apart as you’d like--the farther the better but you can
go back and forth more times if you’re stuck in a smaller space!

First...jog down and back to warm up (and to cool down when you’re done).

Then, choose any of the following and repeat it 4 or 5 times. It will depend on how far apart you put your cones!:
shuffle sideways down and back (don’t cross feet) – get low!
criss cross sideways down and back (cross feet) – get low!
bear crawl down and back
pencil hop down and back
lunge down and back (or jog back)
jump squat (or step, step, squat) down and back (or jog back)
sprint down and jog back
This doesn’t take long but you will feel it the next day! ...and the day after that! and maybe even the day after that!

TEN TO ONE:
A trainer in Calgary introduced me to this one. We did the following, but you can again do anything you want! I like to add in a surprise – tuck jumps, sets on the stairs, inverted rows, etc – every once in a while!
10 reps each of: pushups, dumbbell squats, dumbbell thrusters, box jumps, kettlebell swings, burpees, pull-ups (jumping) followed by 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 4, 3, 2, 1 and what I decided to add and call BONUS! 10 round after you finish the 1s!

PLANK FUN #1:
1 minute plank / 1 minute up down (push up into a pushup position, lower down, alternating which side you start on --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=097EmpGkgP0 ) /1 minute walking legs in and out / 1 minute plank
(It doesn’t have to be 1 minute, you could do 45 seconds or 30 seconds or even 15 seconds of each! 4 minutes is a long time to be loving those abs but it’s awesome! I like to start with the 1 minute round, rest, then repeat for 45 seconds, rest, then do it for 30. Needless to say, I get mad at my friends for making me laugh the next day...ouch!)

PLANK FUN #2:
Holding a basic OR a pushup position plank:
1st time: reach forward with your left hand 10 times (keep your body in line and your abs engaged)
repeat with your right hand
repeat with your left leg
repeat with your right leg
repeat with your left hand and right leg
repeat with your right hand and left leg
...REST
2nd time: following the same progression as the 1st time, reach forward for 5 reps and hold for 5 counts
...REST
3rd time: following the same progression as the 1st time, hold for 10 seconds each

MARATHON ABS:
The name is credited to Lola, the toughest Cardio Kickbox instructor I’ve ever met!
You can do it with any exercises, but my favourite patterns are 30 seconds or any time period without rest each of:

i)crunches/situps
crunches/situps with legs elevated
leg raises
reverse crunches
crunches/situps

ii) crunches/situps
crunches/situps with legs elevated to a 45 degree angle
scissor kicks (bonus inner thigh workout)
crunches/situps with legs elevated to 45 degree angle
crunches/situps
The possibilities are endless...


OTHER:
Other things that people aren’t doing but should be(I’ll admit, myself included on some of ‘em)...
turkish get ups
wall sits
mountain climbers
smiling and clapping when they do burpees
running stairs
pushups (all kinds of possibilities)
plyos
stability ball pikes
rowing
using the jacob’s ladder
jumping rope

No comments:

Post a Comment